Monday, February 11, 2008

$75/week grocery budget challenge

Can we do it? We are a family of 6.

Today, I hit 2 Walgreen's and Kroger's.

At the first Walgreen's I bought 3 boxes of Honey Nut Cheerios, 2 Welch's 100% Grape juice, 2 Oral B toothbrushes, and a bottle of Dimetapp. Total out of pocket was 9.83

Second Walgreen's
2 Rolls Bounty Paper towels
6 Candy Bars
Gillette Phenom Razor
Soft Soap Radiant Spa Body Wash
Mennen Deodorant 24/7
Garnier Fructis Shampoo
Total out of pocket was $15.46
but I earned $6 register reward for next time
and $12.97 in rebates.

Not too bad since we needed almost all of what I bought- No one really needs candy bars, do they?

Kroger's
I spent $39.81. My receipt said I saved $49.97 and had a 55% overall savings.

The best deal were the Totino's Pizza Rolls. 10 boxes for 2.30 total!! My teenage boys will be in heaven.

I also learned something. I had a 35 cent coupon for Pam spray. I bought the Kroger brand because it was cheaper. I forgot that Kroger's triples coupons under 39 cents. Need to remember that for next time.

I had planned on taking pictures but being a creature of habit. I put all my groceries away..then remembered. Maybe next time.

As for the budget. I still have $11 for the week as well as my $6 register reward and $6.49 ECB's I have for CVS. If it gets really tough I'll use those for milk and bread.

At first $75 seemed impossible, but now, I am thinking we can do this. I cringed when I pulled up the categories on our online checking and saw the obscene amount we used to spend. Obscene, I tell you!

Oh.. and the other good news. Kroger's had Buitoni pasta on sale, I printed off coupons, and was able to send off for a free cutting board from Buitoni Pasta today. The Phenom razor had a form to send off for a free $4 pen. More free stuff. Gotta love that!

1 comment:

Veggiemomof2 said...

I have problems remembering that one of my local grocery stores doubles coupons too! I always think..well their sale price is same as this other store...but other store doesn't double coupons, so it's better deal at 1st store! GRR