Friday, September 28, 2012

Our Week 5 in Review


Together: 

They are still learning about navigation and how sailors relied on the stars to find their way.  We pulled out our Exploring Creation with Astronomy book and hubby did a science add-on this week.  Here he is demonstrating how the universe is expanding. They drew stars on the balloon and then slowly filled it with helium.

 
They also drew the life stages of a star with sidewalk chalk.  Hubby found this website, which gave a great visual.

Just for fun I read The Whipping Boy to them over breakfast this week.  It wasn't scheduled but it is such a good boy story and we laughed a lot while going through it.

Also in history, they are learning about the Aztecs.  Here is our attempt at drawing Aztec Warriors based on the lesson plan from Deep Space Sparkle.  I won't tell you which one belongs to boybarian3, boybarian4, which one is mine or which one is hubby's.  Ha!

r
Another extra book we enjoyed this week was The Sad Night: The Story of An Aztec Victory and a Spanish Loss by Sally Schofer Mathews.  This book has great artwork too. 

Friday we watched this video on The Ancient Aztec Empire.  It was very informational.




 


Seperately: 

B3 finished reading The Corn Grows Ripe on Monday and started reading Meet Christopher Columbus.   (Not a Sonlight scheduled reader but we are tweaking a bit since we have worked through the first few weeks previously.)

I gave him his thesaurus this week to use in writing.  He was specifically learning about using synonyms to make his writing more interesting.  He actually enjoyed this assignment, which is a huge step in the right direction!  He is plugging away in math and spelling; nothing new to report. 

 B4 finished The Long Way Westward.   In spelling, we are reviewing when to use C or K at the beginning of a word.  We went back to using All About Spelling for him.  After reading at The Well Trained Mind forums about how others were making it work not using all the tiles except to introduce the lesson, I decided to give it another try and ordered level 2. (again!) We had worked through level 1 prior. I am hoping we can move through it fairly quickly and get him into level 3 before the year ends.  He learned about adverbs an using them properly in writing.

As far as outside activities, we had our science co-op class.  This week was about the respiratory system.  This was the last time we'll meet at the pool and swim this year. 

Bring on Fall and cooler weather!

2 comments:

Faith said...

The Whipping Boy is a such a great book. Your weeks looks good! I enjoyed the art!

Homeschooling6 said...

That was nice of your hubby to help with science. I know my kiddos love when dad teaches. Thanks for the website. I'm going to have to bookmark it for my daughter.
Blessings,
Linda<><