Friday, September 14, 2012

Week 3 Review

We had a difficult time focusing this week. Doctor's appointments, sunshine, life, and school just got away from us a bit. Again!

Together: We are continuing to study explorers. They made a flip book of the reasons for exploration. For our history we are finishing up Pedro's Journal and they are finishing their readers, A Lion To Guard Us and A Corn Grows Ripe.

We are reviewing the 12 Latin and Greek roots that we learned last Spring from English From The Roots Up. We used the cards we had printed to play memory match. We also played blackout Sight Word Bingo this week as a review for Boybarian4 who is still struggling with his reading.

In Science, they continued to learn about electricity and completed their journal pages for the battery experiments.





For science, we are also reading The Story of Inventions. I found these great free notebooking pages to go along with this science book.

Seperately: Boybarian3 has not felt the best and it is showing up in his school work. I spent the day on Thursday making a plan for early next week to have him go back and review reducing fractions, adding fractions with different denominators, etc. He was supposed to advance to multiplying decimals. I think that is what I love the most about home school. We can tweak and bend where needed and even fast forward if necessary. He is a rockstar speller and we both have had fun with Spelling Power this year. It is the perfect program for him because if he knows the words, there is no repetition of doing unnecessary worksheets. He only had to practice Saskatchewan, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and Quebec this week.

Boybarian4 is doing excellent with his phonics review in MCP. He much prefers it to Explode the Code and Primary Phonics that we have done in the past. Much to his delight,I added in Spelling City to his spelling practice this week.

As for field trips, on Tuesday we made a spur of the moment decision to hit the splash pad in town one last time. They had it all to themselves, which was a double bonus.
Friday, we joined a local home school group for their Not-Back-to-School Celebration at another park. One mom did awesome face painting. Boybarian3 chose to have a snake done on his arm instead.

Boybarian4 chose a really cool sea dragon.

We always enjoy going to this park because it has a great big pond with walking trails.

The other cool thing is the Cypress trees. The roots grow up from the ground and are actually called "knees."

A squirrel there came running when we sat down to eat our lunch. He wouldn't leave until we relented and gave him a chip.


One thing of note this week, I remembered my reusable sticky arrows. Such a time saver to mark pages for the boybarians or to flag my Sonlight Instructor's guide. I decided to use their language arts this year but was struggling with how difficult it was to locate what I needed when in a hurry. A great and cost-effective solution!


1 comment:

Faith said...

I loved A Lion to Guard us and my kids always preferred MCP Phonics too. Looks like fun at the parks! The snake and dragon are awesome!