Friday, September 7, 2012

Week 2 Review




Together: We are in week 2 of studying American History. We read about explorers.


We made sea monster pop-up cards to go along with our history reading in Pedro's Journal.  After discussing the sailors' fear of legendary monsters we read Isaiah 27:1.  

We also discussed sailors and how a boy of their age would be expected to do a great deal of work on a ship. Here the boybarians are practicing tying knots like those used on a ship.



To go along with one of their readers this week, A Lion To Guard Us, we did a an overnight copper experiment. Since hubby is home he took the extra time to explain more abut copper and some of its modern-day uses. They researched it on the Internet and on the Periodic Table of Elements.
 
 
 

I have no pictures but in our Sonlight Science E they learned about electricity and making a current. They used small lightbulbs, foil ribbon, and D-batteries. Simple but fun.

Seperately:
They worked on their various subjects. We are spending time each day doing a review of their math multiplication and division facts.

The only other real thing of note is that we (I say we because the catchy little saying get stuck in my brain too) are doing poetry memorization. We started this last year and both boys love it! We made poetry memorization books. After the new poem is introduced I have them illustrate it. It has been a huge hit.

This week Boybarian4 started memorizing:

After the Party
(William Wise)

Jonathan Blake
Ate too much cake,
He isn't himself today;
He's tucked up in bed
With a feverish head,
And he doesn't much care to play.

Jonathan Blake
Ate too much cake,
And three kinds of ice cream too--
From latest reports
He's quite out of sorts,
And I'm sure the reports are true.

I'm sorry to state
That he also ate
Six pickles, a pie and a pear;
In fact I confess
It's a reasonable guess
He ate practically everything there.

Yes, Jonathan Blake
Ate too much cake,
So he's not at his best today;
But there's no need for sorrow--
If you come back tomorrow,
I'm sure he'll be out to play.




2 comments:

G said...

It looks like you had a great week! Is that the Homeschool in the Wodods Explorers that you're using? The science looks like it was a lot of fun too.

Enriched-Mom said...

Yes, you are right Gillian. The sea monster card and knots came from Home School In The woods New World Explorers CDs. We are not doing the full CD but pulling the bits and pieces that line up with our Sonlight D. thanks for stopping by!