There has been lots of talk in the blogosphere world and various home school forums on how everyone schedules their days. Checklists. Planners. Schedules. Workboxes. I've read about so many styles and I've checked out about a zillion printables.
I really like the idea of being prepared. I really like the idea of the boybarians being independent. But....you knew there was going to be a but.. the thought of adding more work to my already busy day was overwhelming. And... if it is not broke, why fix it?
So, here is organization, our way:
First, I printed out a list for each boy
The title says:
XXXX's Daily Checklist:
Bible
Spelling/Phonics
Grammar
Writing
Math
Science
History
Read-Aloud (and discussion)
Reading
Memorization
Spanish
Recess
Snack
Lunch
Chores:
Made my bed
Brushed my teeth
Unloaded dishwasher
Put away my school stuff
It is in a grid format, the subject and a box for a check, with a nice border all around.
Then I cut it out. It is approx 2 x 10 (I wanted to put a picture here but since it has their name on it, I decided to forego the picture and let y'all just try to imagine what I'm talking about... just go with me here.)
Then I laminated their list. Red for boybarian3, yellow for boybarian 4. I let them choose the color. Each day as they do their work they just X off what they've done with a marker. They do some work independently and some work with me. Each morning, I wipe off the list and we start anew.
Now just how do they know what they are to do?
For work that is to be done by alone, I put their books in a stack. In my theme of keeping it simple, I just highlight the page numbers they are supposed to do. If it not a consumable, I circle the page number with a pencil. Yes, I am one of those people... you know the kind... the ones that mark up their books.. but just a teeny tiny bit. The boybarians know to keep working until the reach a page with no marking. If they are to do just a section, I only highlight or underline the appropriate parts. If it is an actual reader book, I'll put a sticky note with chapters or pages to be read. That keeps the librarians happy too. (smirk)
By the end of the year, hopefully, all our page numbers will be highlighted and hence, completed.
For my schedule, I keep 3 weeks worth of files in my desk divided by days. I posted about it here. And as a side note, unfortunately, MFW did not work for us and we are not continuing it this Fall, but the general premise is there. We've also given up Singapore math for Teaching Textbooks. This year, my folders will have our Sonlight lesson plans, etc. I considered Sonlight last year but shied away from it. In retrospect, I wish we would have made the plunge.
That is it! My (un)organization that works for us!
No comments:
Post a Comment