Monday, July 25, 2011

My cook once eat twice strategy...

I have a motto.... cook once, eat twice. Sometimes, that motto changes to cook twice eat thrice.

Night 1: Hamburgers
Night 2: Chicken Stir Fry over rice
Night 3: Sweet and Sour Meatballs over rice

Yesterday for example, we had grilled burgers with all the fixings. Boybarian1 works at a local grocer. He came home with a packet of seasoning mix that was calling his name... Jake's Hamburger Seasoning, made right here in Texas. He also came home with a big 3-lb pack of fresh ground burger. Love a boy that not only plans dinner but brings home the ingredients! However, 3-lb of hamburger is a lot of meat! So, while we were shaping our burgers I implemented our motto. We rolled out some meatballs at the same time, slid 'em in the fridge, and saved for another meal.

I had already planned chicken stir fry for tonight. Again, my motto is if you're going to cook and mess up the kitchen you might as well make more than one meal. So, after I put on the rice to boil- enough for 2 meals, I started slicing the green peppers and the other veggies, half of the peppers went into the stir-fry and the other half chopped finer to put over the meatballs. Then I needed pineapple juice for my stir-fry sauce, but again, no problem because pineapple and peppers mixed with a tad of that juice suddenly turned our blan meatballs into yummy sweet and sour barbecue! I pulled out the family's favorite barbecue sauce, Sweet Baby Ray's and poured it in over the meatballs to finish it off. I went ahead and baked them tonight. Tomorrow we will just be able to warm the meatballs in the microwave and I'll serve with the leftover rice and a salad made from the lettuce and tomatoes leftover from the hamburger meal.

While the meatballs were cooking and the stir-fry was simmering, I quickly did a clean up of the kitchen.

In this heat, I am looking forward to an easy peasy meal tomorrow evening!

1 comment:

panaMOM said...

Great ideas! I wish I thought that much through my meals! I'm motivated...