Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Guten Tag!

We started studying Germany this week.

The boys put their flag stickers in their passports and we were off.

Boybarian3 is still working on his Europe packet. We spent some time on Tuesday labeling all the rivers. It was definitely a challenge for him- who am I kidding? It was a challenge for both of us!

We worked with beeswax today. I did not have any of the true beeswax for modeling that MFW suggested but I had some sheets of beeswax for candles. Worked for us! Boybarian4 made several shapes.










In our Science (Christian Kids Explore Earth and Space) we are studying caves and caverns. We are in the middle of a 10-day experiment trying to grow spleothems. Gail Gibbons has an excellent series of books for the elementary years. We read Caves and Caverns- though I did put post-it notes over one page that did not line up with our beliefs in regards to "Millions of years." The other info was great and her books have fantastic pictures.

Pilot Guy and I both took a year of German in high school (so many moons ago!) but this week has been fun remembering words and actually being able to pronounce some relative terms. We've enjoyed the series Count Your Way Through... (insert various countries). The book for Germany was very good!

We are also incorporating lots of books on castles into our reading. It's been so cold this week that we have had lots of pajama days!

We have another week to go but so far, Germany has been sehr gut!

No comments: