Together: We finally finished up our study on the Inca, Aztecs, and Mayans. We started reading about America during the time of the Pilgrims. Boybarian3 read Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims. Boybarian 4 and are reading it together. It is a bit of a stretch for him to read alone but I didn't want him to miss this book or the content.
We also studied limericks this week in poetry. We listened to the audio CD from A Child's Introduction to Poetry. Boybarian3 also worked on limericks in his Queen's Homeschool Language Lessons book. Here are his two attempts at writing limericks.
There was a small lady from Trent,
And a large spoon she bent,
So she went to Paris,
Where she met a man named Saris,
They then fell in love like they were meant.
Today, I'm wearing green,
A great color that you've seen.
I love my mom she takes care of me.
She's beautiful as you see,
And she's not mean.
Pilot guy is in charge of science and while they liked Sonlight Science the reality is, it just wasn't getting done. He wanted one book to open and go. This is where it comes in handy to be a curriculum hoarder..ha! I pulled out Exploring Creation with Zoology 1: Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day. They worked on lesson 1 this past week, learning about taxonomy and the animal kingdom classification. We had some animal and insect cards that they sorted. The cards also had the latin names written on the back. It was a great hands on activity. I printed out some coordinationg notebook pages found at the yahoo group.
I stand in awe of all the moms that freely share their creations. Pilot guy was thrilled with the schedule a mom had shared that also included the necessary supplies for each week. Thank you to all those people out there! You've truly simplified this working mom's life!
Seperately: Boybarian 3 is still working through Winston Grammar. This program is working very well for us. He did the first quiz this past week. He loves quizzes- silly boy! He is still working through Writing Strands 3. We started back on the root word cards for English From the Roots. Again, we are using a free schedule from Cynce's Place.
Boybarian4 is also working on his writing. This past week we worked on using adjectives in writing. Math continues to be his strongest subject though we have seen great strides in his reading these last 2 weeks. I think he is finally mastering breaking down syllables. Advances in reading come painfully slow for him, but when they do, he makes a big surge at once.
Outside activities included a field trip to a local garden/nursery. She showed the kids which plants were native to Texas. Their Texas garden was divided by East Texas plants and West Texas plants, which if you've ever been here, you know they are two very different areas. We also saw a strange growing plant. Some kids guessed it was a large cucumber. Others thought it mght be a zucchini. It turned out to be a Loofa Sponge! I had never seen one before either. They did an activity of making seed tape using various lettuce type seeds, which we planted in our herb garden at home. The children then played freeze tag in the hay maze. It was a fun outdoor field trip.
Pilot Guy took them to their outdoor survival class. So, I'm not exactly at sure what it consisted of - I was working. I do know they learned a lot about local wild animals, nests, and burrows.
In the spirit of November and being thankful, we made a tree for our art niche. I printed out some leave shapes and placed them along with double-sided tape and a sharpie marker in a container near our tree. (don't laugh- I clearly lack artistic talent!). We take turns adding to our tree and will continue to do so all month.



1 comment:
AWWW you did a good job on your tree much better than I would have!
Post a Comment