November's leaf is red and sear."
- Sir Walter Scott
We love Fall in our house, especially November. It is a time of gratitude, to give thanks, and appreciate the blessings bestowed upon us.

We're using a Give Thanks banner this year. I cut out a stack of leaves in hopes that the entire family will write on the leaves and tape to the banner. It varies from year to year on how we celebrate, but I try to teach the boys to think about the things they have been blessed with and what to be thankful for, not just material things but more the things in our life that we forget about and should appreciate more. I love how we can focus on thankfulness in November and it leads us right into December where we focus on our Savior.
The other fun thing about November is all the great literature to read. Here's all our books for the year. In the past, we have enjoyed Cranberry Thansgiving by Cynthia Rylant as well as the Sarah Morton's Day, Samuel Eaton's Day, and The Pilgrim's First Thanksgiving. .
If you have never read Jack Prelutsky's It's Thanksgiving, you should. It is a collection of short poems related to Thanksgiving. Very humorous yet easy to read. The other humorous book we seem to put in our book basket every year is Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving by Dav Pilkey. Gail Gibbons' books always have beautiful illustrations and her Thanksgiving Day book does not disappoint. She also has a book we did not check out this time called, Thanksgiving Is... The new ones for our book basket are Three Young Pilgrims by Cheryl Harness and Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims. (Dare I admit, I have never read it?)
No comments:
Post a Comment