Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Breakfast Burritos


So yesterday on Meal Plan Monday I mentioned on the agenda was to make breakfast burritos. While I was cooking dinner last evening, I went ahead and whipped up a batch. Besides, Menu Plan Monday, I like to play along once in a while over at the Grocery Cart Challenge.

I get about 20 breakfast burritos out of this recipe. Sometimes, to stretch the recipe, I will add shredded hashbrowns and a bit of salsa. For a nice variation, I often will replace the sausage in this recipe with chunks of ham.

1 lb bulk sausage- I prefer Jimmy Dean's All Natural
10-12 eggs
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup shredded cheese (today I used a mix of Chedder and Colby)

20 flour tortillas
coconut oil

Cook sausage in fry pan, remove the meat. Whisk eggs and water, pour into fry pan in sausage drippings (if there is a lot of oil, I will wipe out with a paper towel). Scrambled eggs and cook through. Add sausage back to pan. Cover with shredded cheese.

I like to make sure my portions are even so I spread out the tortillas on a baking sheet and use an ice cream scoop for measuring. Roll and tuck each burrito. Brush with coconut oil and bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. Cool and freeze. Once frozen, pull of cookie sheet and put in storage container or Ziploc bag.

Boybarian2 has to be up at 5:40 a.m. for school. This makes a quick and easy microwavable breakfast for him, especially when combined with a yogurt cup.

No comments: