Monday, June 6, 2011

Small Changes.. BIG impact!

My hubby has had 21 days off! It has been a very busy couple of weeks! We did take one day and go to the water park.

First, we had a pony wall- a half wall- separating our breakfast area from our living room. We have never liked it and wanted to remove it but because it had electrical in it, the job was bigger than we were. Insert help from our in-laws and in a day the wall was gone. We were putting in the new flooring to match the upstairs so it was the perfect time to make changes. Our island was always awkward to walk around. So, while we had it out, to put in the new floor, we decided to try switching it around and instantly liked what we saw.



A side note about the counter-height table. The bottom is a cabinet my dad built for us in our old house. Dh and I added the top and turned it into a table a couple of years ago. It is still looking good and holding strong!

We replaced the dishwasher. Ours was dying a slow death. Hopefully, next Spring we'll upgrade our range and microwave to stainless steel as well. The new dishwasher is so quiet. We do not hear it run. It is from the Frigidaire Gallery Collection. The salesman said the lower the decibel the quieter it would be so we got the lowest we could find that was still a tall tub.



The new floor went into the pantry and makes it so nice and tidy. We used the leftover pieces to put on the inside of the cabinet under the kitchen sink too. And speaking of the kitchen sink, we replaced it as well. We bought a stainless steel set that included with a wonderful pull-down faucet. (picture was before we put in the sink) We chose this one.

I took these pictures before we had the carpet man come in and tack the carpets back down where the pony wall once was.


We put new moulding around our cabinets. Hubby did a great job of getting the angles perfect! We practiced a bit, ok- a lot on some scrap pieces and laughed at ourselves in the process. Sometimes, things are not as always as easy as they seem.




We also painted the dining room.



I mentioned to my mother-in-law I needed more storage for homeschool books. She came up with the idea of a bookcase across our dining room wall since that is where most of the schooling takes place. Hubby and I built this one evening. The bottom sections seems large but they're built to hold our totes for manipulatives, science stuff, etc. I painted it today and am patiently waiting for it to dry so I can load it up with all our stuff- organized, of course.

And while I'm sharing pictures, here is the staircase, all painted and trimmed and looking pretty.

No comments: