so last year I said I could feed my family of 6 on $75 week. And I did... for a while..but I didn't stick with it.
This year... I'm going to try again. Our grocery bill has been a bit obscene lately. 4 boys can eat a lot. A LOT! And I found when I was limiting our budget, we were eating healthier. So a New Year..a new grocery budget. No pictures today as I forgot and put stuff away. Then I tried taking pictures of my receipts but they're just fuzzy.
$3.97 at Walgreens for 3 boxes of Quaker Instant Oatmeal. (Reg that much for 1 box!)
$54.14 at Kroger
1 All-natural whole chicken (Sunday Dinner)$2.97
3 Self-Rising Pizza (Friday night) 3/$10= $3 Catalina off next trip.
1 Box Foster Farms Corn Dogs (Sat. lunch) $5.99
3 Dannon Dino Yogurt 6-packs (Manager's special) .99 each
3 Yoplait Blueberry Yogurt .42 each
3 Yoplait Whipped Strawberry Yogurt .42 each
2 Dannon Kids Yogurt- 8 packs 1.25 each
4 PowerAde drinks (32 oz) (3 free!) .79
2 Fuze Drinks .25 each
1 Juicy Juice 8-pack box drinks 1.79
2 Minute Maid Pomegranate Tea- 54 oz .70 each!
1 Yakisoba Noodles (free!)
4 Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup .60 each
4 Roma Tomatoes ??
1 French Bread (Manager specia- froze for French Toast on Saturday) .89
1 Baguette (Manager special) .79
1 Rice Wine Vinegar 1.04
4 Boxes Special K Bars 2.67 each, buy 3 free milk
1 Gallon Milk (free!)
2 Boxes Capt Crunch Cereal 1.00 each
4 Reese Whips Candy bars (free!)
2 Boxes Frozen Waffles 1.00 each
1 Can black beans (Taco Soup tonight!) .85
3 Chef-boy-Ardee Ravioli .60 each
1 100-count Sandwich bags 2.84
1 White-Wheat Bread loaf 2.00
Prices are after coupons.
Total spent this week: $58.11
$16.89 to go.
Not our healthiest grocery trip. I have enough $$ left to restock our fresh fruit and veggies on Sunday. We had eggs, carrots, onions, apples and bananas left from last week (before I was budgeting!) Last week Kroger had Bob's Red Mill Flour on Manager Special and I bought 30 pounds for $6.
There is a blog called the Grocery Cart Challenge that I've been reading. She has some great ideas. Maybe by Monday, I'll be organized enough to actually have a menu planned out for the rest of the month. A girl can at least hope!
1 comment:
My husband is starting a new job soon (actually it's his OLD job... he's an attorney and went out on his own for a few years, only to return to prosecuting, which he loves)...
anyway, it's a bit of a paycut. And of course, life with 3 kids only gets MORE expensive, not less.
So I am trying ever so hard to be the good wife and find ways to cut back without making him feel like it's "his fault." :) I'm happy for him to go back, so I want to make this pleasant for him at home as well as at work.
So I'm with you - I have GOT to get a handle on the groceries. I've done better here lately by using the grocery game online... and cutting coupons... but yuck, sometimes it's just a pain. More time and energy. It's SO much easier to just go, thoughtlessly buy, and GET OUT.
But it can be done, and that is my job right now. So, this post was encouraging and motivating. I'll check out the link you offered...
I also JUST emailed my dad about coming to help us this spring as we plan a "victory garden!" I thought about you - you are still on my sidebar - and I sent him a link to come see your square foot garden from last year, I believe it was. I hope it pans out for us.
Here's to good eats!
Thanks,
Jen
Post a Comment