Monday, May 5, 2008

A victory or was it a surrender??

It is another darky and dreary day filled with Texas-sized rain. We watched the rising water and listened to the thundering skies as we were getting ready for school. Against the pleas to stay home, I made them get ready.

As they donned rain coats they said they were "preparing for battle", and as we waded to the surburban we were "under attack". We were completely soaked by the time the doors were shut. Then thy announced that the "infantry was down."

The water was already to our mailbox and half way up our yard. I carefully drove us to town. When we arrived at the spot to make our turn to the school, I had to drive through water up to our wheels. The hour-by-hour weather forecast called for continued rain throughout the day. I told the boys, I was not driving through that water pick them up, especially if it deepened. So, we turned and headed for home.

They announced "Retreat! Retreat!"

1 comment:

Darla said...

I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to leave my children at school either in those conditions and not knowing if I could get back to pick them up.

Every time there is a tornado watch during the day and my child is at school I always contemplate going to get him. Overprotective? Yup, pretty much.